1. Choose and Buy your domain name.
Once you have purchased your domain – You are SET TO GO!!
You can get your domain directly through Bluehost and make the whole process very easy. If you do this, you can get a FREE domain for the first year as long as you buy 12 months worth of Bluehost web hosting.
This is one of the most affordable ways to start a money making blog, buy buying 12 months hosting you will be save a decent amount of money and get a FREE domain included!
You also get a cheaper monthly price the longer period of hosting that you purchased, I bought 2 year hosting, but looking back I think I should of done longer to save more money…
If you want the best deal, the best value would be purchasing a 36 month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower over the long run.
If you decide purchase the hosting to get the free domain, just continue to the next step as you can buy your hosting and get the free domain all in one step.
You may be thinking, “Well I can just start on Blogger for a little cheaper and learn how to make a blog that way” NOOOOO… Don’t do that. There are so many reasons for why a Blogger/Blogspot blog is a really bad idea, and why you should instead setup a WordPress blog on Bluehost.
If you are interested in ever making money off your blog, freelancing or turning it into a business, then paying for your hosting, such as through Bluehost, is a MUST. It’s extremely cheap as well to go through Bluehost AND you get a free domain. You can run any of your own advertisements, affiliate links, direct advertising, etc. with a blog ran on Bluehost. Making money on Blogger or any other free blogging platform is very difficult, and in many cases never happens. Most advertisers and companies tend to run away from Blogger websites because they don’t view them as professional as self-hosted WordPress blogs, so that’s another big reason to use Bluehost.
Read more about why you should pay for blog hosting here.
There are many reasons for why you may want to choose Bluehost for your WordPress blog and I honestly believe they are one of the best web hosting providers. These reasons include:
- It’s easy to use. Yes, ANYONE can create a WordPress blog easily with my tutorial below. Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog.
- Bluehost web hosting offers technical support.
- Bluehost is extremely affordable and they offer cheap web hosting. You can have a blog of your own and the only real expense you need to pay is the cheap blog hosting which starts at just $2.75 per month.
- You get a FREE blog domain.
- WordPress through Bluehost is FREE.
- Bluehost offers a guarantee in case you determine that it is not for you. If you sign up for Bluehost, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out.
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to monetise your blog, this is the best option to be taken seriously!
- You will appear much more professional to readers, companies, and so on if you are self-hosted on Bluehost than being on Blogspot.
1. Register your domain name.
You can get your domain directly through Bluehost and make the whole process very easy. If you do this, you can get a FREE domain for the first year as long as you buy 12 months worth of Bluehost web hosting. This makes it well worth it to sign up for at least 12 months of hosting as you will be saving a good amount of money this way.
You also get a cheaper monthly price when you buy at least 12 months of hosting, so the free domain just makes it even better. If you want an even better deal, the best value would be purchasing a 36 month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower over the long run. If you decide to get the free domain, just continue to the next step as you can buy your hosting and get the free domain all in one step.
The “Basic” package is most likely all you will need at this moment in time, to save yourself money and to get the best deal, purchasing the 36 month package will give you the lowest monthly price.
2. Buy hosting for your blog.
Setting up a WordPress blog on Bluehost is very easy. First, we will talk about the costs of blogging:
- As you are just starting out the basic plan is all you really need for now, so skip the Plus and Business Pro plans as they are more expensive. You can always change it later to a different plan if you want to (and just pay the difference), so there is no need to sign up for extra that you do not need.
- The other item you may want to pay for when it comes to blogging is Domain Privacy Protection, This is so that your contact information, address details stay safe.
- Other than the above, you do not need the other items that Bluehost sells, so I would uncheck any of the extras that are listed.
I would like raise the importance of why you should purchase at least a 12 month hosting plan. Month-to-month seems like the more affordable, budget friendly option however, it is less effective for example, if forever any reason your card does not work, loss of funds, no balance etc and hosting is not renewed then your website is down and you risk losing business (visitors/traffic).
When you are ready to create your blog, follow the steps below to buy hosting for your blog.
- Go to Bluehost and click the “Get Started Now” button.
- Click on the package you are interested in – as mentioned above basic is all you need for now.
- Enter your domain name your domain name if you have previously purchased it or sign up for a new domain name here.
- Enter your personal and payment information.
- Next you will be asked to enter a password. Make sure it’s secure and not easily guessable!
If you have any problems, drop me an email and I will be more than happy to help you – firstname.lastname@example.org
3. It’s time to connect Connect your domain and your hosting.
Note: If you have purchased your domain directly through Bluehost in the previous step you can move on to Step 4 as it will already be connected and waiting for you!
If you buy your domain through GoDaddy, then you will need to connect your domain to your hosting account. Go Daddy has a full support page to help you to do this – setting nameservers for your domain names.
How to modify your DNS Nameservers when you are using GoDaddy for your domain and Bluehost for your hosting:
- Log into the GoDaddy.com Account Manager.
- Select Manage Domains from the Domain Names drop-down menu or the Manage Your Account list.
- Select the domain name you wish to modify using the checkboxes and then click Set Name Servers.
- Enter your updated name server information in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom. Your entries should look like this: ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com.
You will then need to add the domain you bought (such as through GoDaddy) as an addon domain to your Bluehost web hosting. You can do this by clicking on “Domains” when logged into your Bluehost web hosting account and then clicking “assign.”
You will then see the steps to configure the rest and get your hosting and domain connect. Bluehost have made this a very easy process and it takes only a few minutes.
4. Install WordPress on Bluehost.
Yay you made it to the most exciting part!!!
Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and it is FREE to get your wordpress site!
- After you have created your password, Bluehost will then direct you through a few simple steps to get your blog ready.
- First, Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme (this is like a layout). There are a few to choose from so take your time…
- You can change the themes if you decide that you don’t like it in the future later so don’t worry if you go off the design, there are alot of paid themes but you can sort them to show Free ones first.
- The you can go ahead and Click on “Start Building” – Yay!!!!!
- On the next screen, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” – it’s up to you. Or, you can click the “I don’t need help.”
You now have a WordPress blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooooohoooooooo!!
See I told you it was easy!!!!!
You will have to work on the design and producing high-quality content, of course. Good luck!
If you sign up for Bluehost, but are having any issues then please drop me an email email@example.com. If I can’t help then I will direct you to bluehost’s great customer service team
To help you find your way aound wordpress I have put together a little “help section” below for you to refer to when you start working on your blog:
- To add and create new posts by clicking on “Posts” on the left-hand side of the screen when you are logged in.
- To add an image or video click on “Media” on the left-hand side of the screen.
- To change the look and feel of your site, add widgets or amend various areas click on “Appearance,” then “Widgets” in order to add items to your sidebar, footer, and so on this is also found on the left side of your screen.
If you are looking for a great way to send newsletters or emails to your readers then I would highly I recommend Convertkit.
If you are looking into the actual design of your blog, Ashe seems to be popular, I really liked it so decided to choose it on my blog, and I highly recommend it. I chose the free version to start with, then upgraded for better features, there are free themes you can WordPress you can use too.
To amend or change your theme just simply go to “Appearance” option on the left-hand side of the screen when you are logged into your website and click on “Themes,” then look through, you can then activate the one that you would like to test out.
By doing this, you can start designing your website easily!
If you would like your blog to be set up for you you can use the MumTrepreneur “Set up my Blog Service” and I will happily set it up for you.
Go have some fun exploring your new blog!
If you are looking to start making money online in 2019? The person that has inspired me to become a MumTreprenuer and gave me the confidence to start my journey is offering FREE Training!